Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » American Wars » The American Revolution

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: White, Caleb, Minuteman MA
 Post Posted: October 21st, 2008, 4:12 pm 

My 3rd great grandfather learned of the June 1832 Act of Congress to allow benefits for Revolutionary soldiers and wrote this declaration to claim his pension (as written): “I Caleb White of Plainfield in the County of Hampshire and Commonwealth of Massachusetts do testify and say that I was born at Weymouth in the County of Norfolk in the State of Massachusetts August 19 1744 now being in my eighty eighth year and was a resident in said Weymouth thirty two years and in Plainfield aforesaid the remaining fifty six years of my life. My services in the revolutionary war were performed while an inhabitant of Weymouth except three weeks done after I removed to Plainfield aforesaid. I entered the service the 19th day of April 1775 at an alarm on the day of the commencement of the war at Lexington near Boston, and continued in service until the ninth day of May following at which time I enlisted into a company commanded by Capt Truffont and Regt. by Col. Robinson for eight months and left the said eight months service the 10th of January 1776 being dismissed by my Captains. I also went on an alarm to Dorchester Heights near Boston and did duty for one week under Capt. Nash in April 1776. I also went on an alarm while a resident in Plainfield aforesaid and marched to Manchester Vt. In July 1777 and did duty there three weeks and one day. I served in the revolutionary war in all nine months and three weeks.” It appears that he was to get $32.30 per annum. (copies of these old records are hard to read) He married Amy Colson of Weymouth 3 Nov 1769. Caleb died April 8th 1840 at his home in Plainfield. His son Samuel, my 2nd great grandfather built his house next to Caleb’s. Although Caleb’s house is no longer there Samuel’s house built in 1795 is still in use.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » American Wars » The American Revolution